Blue eyes on a Saturday night.

October 2nd.

Saturday morning.

I was awake way too early for someone who had just spent a night on Bourbon St. I heard Kait and Dr. Bob talking and standing near the window. We had this absolutely phenomenal view of the city and the river. Little did I know they were actually watching the sunrise — 7:30 am. Oye. My stomach was absolutely furious at me for thinking that pizza at 3am was a good idea. Kait and Bob decided they would head to Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee. I figured, I might as well just tackle the day now instead of trying to go back to sleep. So, up I went to walk around. I had wanted to bring my camera, but couldn’t find it. I think I drank about 3 bottles of water from the hotel to the cafe, where we then sat up on the levee and looked at the river. Bailey joined us. The beignets looked and smelled amazing, but I just couldn’t convince my stomach that they were a good idea.

Bob and Kait took off to walk around and look at the parks because Bob seemed to have an insane amount of knowledge about New Orleans, much to Kait’s entertainment. Bailey and I sat for awhile longer before he said, “Let’s go get you a working phone.” Alright, let’s do this. Working phone! We walked down to the Riverwalk shopping center and Bailey was being an absolute chatterbox the entire way. All good stories though, about living abroad in Spain for awhile. To my dismay, the wireless kiosk didn’t even carry batteries. ROAR. He suggested finding the Radio Shack that was located on Canal St. SUCESSS THEY HAD A BATTERY! Ahh, $55 later, I had a working phone again. Back on the grid and it’s never felt better.

I spent the next hour trying to figure out if I was staying in New Orleans for another, if Kait and Steve were planning on staying etc. etc. I couldn’t get in touch with my cousin that lives in the city, so I was out of options. I knew that John and Sandy were considering going back later on that night, so I had the option of returning, but they were in a huge rush to leave and get back to Port Fourchon to do sampling off nearby Grand Isle. Only to then stop threes times along the way home for a roadside vegetable stand, some snacks/caffeine, and to prepay a toll road. I did find that Icees are much more prevalent in the south than the north were we have Slush Puppies. Anybody who knows anything about sweet almost frozen concoctions knows that Slush Puppies are a cheap and disappointing alternative. It’s like trying to take your Friday night girl home to dinner on Sunday afternoon. It just doesn’t work. I drank a lot of Icee that afternoon.

Grapes? Yes. Grapes.

Prime example of interesting food available here.

But anyway, we didn’t get back to the boat until 2, maybe.

Johnny and Matt were ready to go to Grand Isle as soon as we pulled in, so I pretty much turned right around and left again. Over on their state pier, there were a good number of people out fishing. It was Saturday afternoon and all, but it made it pretty limited to us taking water, sediment, and fish samples. It would have been difficult to do that incognito. We did watch the fishermen bring up some pretty huge red fish and someone had hooked a sting ray while we were there, too.

Reel beeg feesh.

After having been at Grand Isle maybe 18 months ago, it is certainly weird to be back. It, of course, looks exactly the same as I left it, minus the construction of a high school that I see as rather large for the island. There can’t be that many kids there. The most notable thing, that is obviously to be expected, is that the beach is closed. Completely. When you walk out onto the pier, you can see the absolutely massive piles of oiled sand being excavated. And some people think it’s real smart to fish right next to all oil still washing up? Right. Not sure why that is, but looking out at the beach is mildly depressing.

Not for climbing, kids.

We didn’t stay long since we wouldn’t be able to get much work done. The Wise clan left soon after with Matt in tow to go back to New Orleans, leaving myself, Bailey, and  Cpt. Bob on the boat. Quiet night in store, for sure. Bailey came through the salon and asked, “Would you like some fish and potatoes?” I tried to deny and opt for cereal, but that was apparently a nonsense idea. I have to admit, I doubted his cooking and was more than skeptical. Down into the galley we went, although I was there solely to provide music to cook with. He cooked up some fish fillets (ahh yeah, they came from the area. Test me for toxins) with capers and all kinds of spices, some baked potatoes, cut up some cucumbers and put balsamic oil and spices on them, and then made corn bread muffins with sundried tomatoes on top. The thought of how good everything tasted just makes me laugh. It was fantastic. Way to go Bailey, I shouldn’t have doubted you. You’ve spent your fair share of time in galleys.

I spent probably close to an hour and a half sitting at the table listening to Bailey and Cpt. Bob exchange sailing stories, which was ridiculously entertaining. Bob then brought out a DVD that a fellow crew member had made about one of the vessels he sailed on. I don’t know when this was, but let’s just say that the DVD quality was poor, and that’s being nice. It was interesting to see the massive sails and Bob would excitedly shout “That’s ME!” every time there was a shot of him on the screen. Unfortunately, I was in a food induced coma and had to really fight a good fight to make it through the 45 minute show. I absolutely crashed after that!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s